The Suzakumon Gate was built in the south end of the imperial palaces in the Japanese city of Kyoto in conjunction with the more renowned Rashomon Gate during the 8th century AD. Although less noteworthy than the Rashomon Gate, the Suzakumon Gate is alleged to be the locale where the Emperor received visiting foreign dignitaries. The imperial Heijo Palace including the Suzakumon Gate were destroyed during the Heian period (794 AD to 1185 AD), which is the last division of classical Japanese history and considered the peak of the Japanese imperial court. Plans to recreate the Suzakumon Gate materialized in 1993, which was a difficult undertaking as there were no remaining remnants of the original structure. The model for reconstruction was developed based upon comparable architecture and the gate was completed in 1998.